Composition Courses Online
Mixmaster Wyatt Academy proudly introduces:
Composition and Orchestration
Composition and Orchestration Courses Online
Modern production tools make it easy to get up and running quickly, but how do you make a bass that works with the chords and melody? how do you reframe that hot acapella into a totally hot original track?
How do you create an arrangement that actually goes somewhere? How do you avoid writing the same song over and over again each month? How do you choose instruments that work well together? How do you build tension and release?
This course will directly answer all of these questions — and more.
In this course you will go through an intense bootcamp of music theory, composition, and orchestration — all tailored for the production of modern music. You will learn the foundations of rhythm, melody and harmony — and innovative secrets and strategies for creating modern music. In addition to working on fundamentals you will analyze and deconstruct current top tracks in all genres of modern music. No specific DAW or software is required — and no previous knowledge of music theory or even playing an instrument is required.
Upon completion of this program you will have a strong command of song structure, harmonic progressions, melody construction and orchestration. You will complete this program with a deep understanding of some of the composition tricks that today’s top and most successful producers are using.
Advanced Composition (Next Level Composition)
- Foundations Review: Circle of fifths and camelot wheel. Advanced Modes. How to use your knowledge of maj/min/modes to create a more diverse track that heightens the storyline by accentuation major and minor to intensify the mood. Hierarchy of scale. tonic, dominant, leading tone. Learn who is friendly and who brings tension and who brings release. what are consonances and what are dissonances. Intervals- the use of them in melody, harmony, vocal harmony. Interval Inversions.
- How to write strong melodies?
- How to write strong chord progressions?
- Counterpoint, and tricks for when you get stuck
- Orchestration and song structure: Orchestration and its power. Learn concepts that will give illusion of your track getting bigger or smaller. How to add instruments to build your mix
- Chorus and Codas: The Evolutions of a Chorus. Why a Bridge/Coda is a must. How it will take your track to the next level and create a much stronger drop.
- Composition Writing: Melody and Harmony. How to compose a relatable chord progression to your pre-existing melody. How to compose a relatable melody to your chord progression. How to compose a bassline from your melody. How to compose a bassline from your chord progression.
- Student Tracks: Bring students tracks in help fatten them up or arrange them
Advanced Orchestration (Next-Level Orchestration)
In this class, we will delve into the artistry of orchestration. How to take a simple melody and chord progression and turn it into a full track.
Learn how the art of instrument/sound placement can help to thicken or thin your composition.
Study Classical and modern examples side by side to understand how and why these orchestration concepts are so widely used.
- voicings of chords
- writing for multiple vocal parts
- look at timbres of sounds and how and why certain ones complement or distract in a piece
- dissect themes and trace them through the composition to see how one theme can be presented in so many ways and colors.
Make the most out of your piece!
Next Level Composition Course is highly suggested to be taken as a prerequisite to this class.
2-month online course. Classes meet twice a week + one open office hours session for Q and A. Next term starts February 7th, 2017
Watch Sample Lesson
I’m lucky enough to have had my music featured on over 500 different TV-series and I still turn to Kristin as a teacher, musical inspirer and co-composer. Her passion and knowledge for music is second to none and she has the ability to break things complex ideas down into the simplest form. She is an important tool in my musical growth and I consider myself lucky to have her around. And this course captures all of Kristin’s most important techniques
Rich Tozolli, Award winning engineer and composer, Pro Sound News
The Next- Level Composition course a perfect addition to the academy..I’ve learned so much in 8 short weeks. Kirstin is an amazing instructor with an abundance of knowledge that is applicable to all things music. Her techniques have significantly cut down the time it takes to get and idea out.
As a direct result of my completion … My progressions are not only stronger and flow more fluently, but my understanding of the theory its self is light years beyond where I started.
I couldnt be more excited for the addition of Next-Level Orchestration. Thank you!
Kuron #IAMSOLIDGOLD, Music Producer Next Level Composition 2016
Advanced composition saved me some good years of study! Is not only theory but how to upgrade our tracks with easy to understand tips. I have material to explore for the next years for sure. Kristin is very generous and always ready to help. Can’t wait to take the next course!”Claudia Dorei Next-Level Composition 2016
“I’m really happy to introduce our newest core courses – EDM Composition with Kristin Hevner. Classically trained, Kristin is an incredible musician, composer and teacher with credits that range from Carnegie Hall to off-Broadway opera electronica. Her compositional training and experience — combined with her deep passion for modern music — make these new core courses simply the best EDM composition courses available online.”
– Danny Wyatt, Founder and CEO, MixMasterWyatt Academy
About Kristin Hevner
Kristin Hevner’s compositions have been performed nationally and internationally and span the musical genres of classical opera, electronic dance music, and atonal rock.
Kristin has also composed music for Oprah and Deepak Chopra — as well as for national commercials including GEICO and numerous independent films. Her music has been performed in Carnegie Hall, Birdland and in conjunction with La Scala in Milan.
As former Composer-in-residence the new NYC-based opera company, Metropolis Opera Project, Kristin penned four full-length contemporary operas that have been recently performed off-Broadway.
Kristin holds degrees from The Ester Boyer School of Music at Temple University, The Graduate Center of the City University of New York, and the School for Audio Engineering (SAE), NYC.
Kristin also served on the board of directors for “The Look and Listen Festival,” an annual event dedicated to the performance of contemporary music in art galleries.